Thursday, July 24, 2008

Why I did it



I told a few people that I planned to do some guerilla graffiti with yarn creations. They looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I wanted to do it. Here are my reasons:

When you cover the ordinary, you make it extraordinary.
It is magical when we wake up to see a layer of snow blanketing the grass and trees that we usually don't notice. By doing crochet graffiti I hope to create a little bit of that magic.

We get so used to seeing the same things day in and day out. Telephone poles, car antennas, street signs, door handles, these items blend into the scenery and avoid notice. But when you cover these mundane items in a bit of yarn, it brings them into focus. Art is the act of transforming the ordinary into the extraordinary. A bowl of fruit is just a bowl of fruit until someone does a painting, drawing, or photograph of it.

I hope that those who found my crocheted pole cozies reclaimed a little bit of the excitement we had as kids when we found a pretty rock or a toy in the cereal box. Feel free to cut the zip ties and keep the cozie if you wish!

I encourage others in the Parkersburg area to create public cozies. I just ask that you make up your own name and tags rather than use Los Crochet Locos. Maybe we will have the yarn flying with rival grafitti gangs set out to cozie the streets!

5 comments:

Mary said...

Excellent idea! The world needs more grafitti guerillas like you.

webweaver said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SandyQuilts said...

I was just looking at the paper and saw the article on you (page 1d). Great job and I LOVE IT.

CrochetQueen said...

Hi Mary,
I loved reading about you today on Google news. I am just about to cover a fence post in my yard with crochet, but that is the bravest I have gotten so far. It will ahppen tonight and then I will make another section and add to the post. I, too, was inspired by Knitta, Please and I was in Indianapolish last weekend to see "Radical Lace & Subversive Knitting" where there was some sensational crochet. Let's hope your blog will inspire others to do yarn graffiti in their towns and I will post pictures on my blog.

Los Crochet Locos said...

Gwen Blakley Kinsler,
Thank you for your comment. I had no idea that my little crochet hijinks had made it onto google news. What a hoot!

And by the way, I am not Mary. She is another blogger who commented. I just go by my "alter ego": Los Crochet Locos.